Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Next Five...

"You don't have to take life the way it comes to you.  You can design your life to come to you the way you want it.  This is your life, your one-and-only life, and you don't want to miss any part of it.  So, what is it going to be?  You decide.  Starting today, you can make the next five years the most exciting, satisfying, productive and amazing years of your life so far - or just another five years".  
~ Dan Zadra, author of The 5 Book.
I had a somewhat challenging day yesterday.  It was one of those "feel sorry for myself, cry about what I could have or should have done differently years ago, I should be doing more, I'm not completely satisfied with all aspects of my life" kind of days. I believe we all have them and although we may  not always enjoy them at the time, I think these days can be very instrumental in helping us grow and move forward in new directions, if we choose to use them to our advantage.  This morning, I was still feeling somewhat blue, when I glanced over at the bookshelf, and this small red book caught my eye.  It was a gift from a dear friend a few years ago. I've read it before, but it's been a while.  I pulled it out, and began to read a few arbitrary pages, when it hit me like a lightening bolt.  Why am a getting caught up in the drama of small,  insignificant things?  I have the power and the ability to change my perception about my life and move forward with purpose to change the things I find unsatisfactory or unacceptable.  This book was exactly what I needed to help me shift my focus from lack and disappointment to excitement and anticipation about the future.  The title of the book is simply "5" Where will you be five years from today? "This book celebrates the want to's, the choose to's and the I can't wait to's in your life".  It's a simple yet thought-provoking read about the power we all hold to be the architect of our life.  I highly recommend it as an instrument to get you thinking about how to navigate your dreams and desires.  Now I'm off to work with a new and improved attitude.

"Because of our routines, we forget that life is an ongoing adventure". 
~Maya Angelou

Enjoy the adventure today!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Beautiful Sheila..radiant, uplifting post! yes we all have those melt-down days..and it is so wonderful to re-align.. ignite and spark back to life again! yay!

Sorry you had a wobbly day..glad you feel better..hope your day is filled with the sparkling beauty of your heart...(and wow..such beauty you share so freely with us all)..thankyou for the gift of you!!
Kiki~

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

I call those days, "Puny Days." Woke to one already this morning, full of shoulds and worries. Yet, the worries are puny, small, in the scheme of this amazing ocean of feeling, life, love. I am so glad you showed me that book, (since that is exactly the same starting point all the puny questions arose from. Where will I be creatively in five years? Am I floating with aim in the right direction?) My best friend for the last 24 years taught Mary Kay Mueller's program "Taking Care of Me" and Mary Kay always says, "You must try not to 'should' on yourself. It stinks... A bit graphic for my taste. Infact, feeling a bit weird about writing it, but, it is sooo true. The shoulds make us leave our beautiful selves trampled in the dust. I have to remember to lead from the heart and work very hard and I will be fine. I know that you can do anything and you seem to have such a strong spirit! So, know that you will radiate and attract all that is necessary. Blessings dear one, Amy