Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Unfocus...


 "It is important to do what you don’t know how to do. 
It is important to see your skills as keeping you from learning what is deepest and most mysterious. 
If you know how to focus, unfocus. 
If your tendency is to make sense out of chaos, start chaos".
~Carlos Castaneda

I love this quote by author Carlos Castaneda.   To allow creativity to flow and learn new and exciting things, we must let go of our preconceived expectations and enter into new and sometimes intimidating territory.  Yes, there are times when our projects will not turn out as expected, sometimes better and sometimes, not so much better.  However, this is how we learn our full potential along this beautiful path of creative exploration.  These pics are a perfect example!  I was given the most wonderful gift ever by my most wonderful husband - an early 40th birthday present in the form of a Nikon D5000.  Can you believe it?!?  A total dream come true for me as I've been wanting to indulge in learning more about photography and digital art.  And I have SO MUCH to learn.  Lighting and lenses and subject matter and the list goes on and on.  It's intimidating and a little scary, but it's absolutely incredible to have the opportunity to learn something so exciting.  These are the first few pics I've taken and for a novice, I think they are okay!  My initial thought is to be over critical and find things that are completely wrong with them.  BUT...I'm trying and learning and I will get better at it.  It's all a learning opportunity.  Of course, I do have the BEST subject matter.  

I'd love to hear about any of your new and intimidating experiences and what you gained from them.  Let me know what chaos you started and how it changed your life...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheila, your pics of your precious puppy dog are BEAUTIFUL!!! WOW! It's going to be hard to improve on these. You have SO many talents..you are truly an amazing woman! I look forward to seeing more of these beautiful pictures!
Patti : )

Victoria said...

Sheila...i love this post..beautifl and inpsiring and so full of wisdom! aww..what super gorgeous and adroable photos..rock on!! Fantastic series..and nyay for your new camera...what a wonderful gift to receive!
Thans for yoru beautiful post and adding sunshine to my day!
Kiki

Whimsy said...

I have the Nikon D5000...we should give each other tips!! I have found a big part is in the editing! Your pictures look fantastic!
xo
Traci

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

This is going to be great for you! You already take gorgeous pics of your creations and just think of the fun you will have learning! Blessings and birthday love to you.