Sunday, April 1, 2012

"Artisan and Assemblage"

as·sem·blage:  A sculptural composition consisting of an arrangement of miscellaneous objects or found materials.
ar·ti·san:  a skilled worker who practices some trade or handicraft.


I love making jewelry.  I work as an artisan jewelry designer, which means I practice the "handicraft" of jewelry making.  There are several types of jewelry design and different techniques wherein artists approach their  work.  Some artists make practically every component of their designs, from their closures, to their jump rings to their chain.  Other artists utilize the assemblage technique, composing their designs from a series of pre-made findings, pendants and chain.  Neither approach is better than the other; simply different.  


The handmade artisan designer invests a tremendous amount of time in his or her work, spending countless hours hammering, annealing, shaping, bending and wrapping until the masterpiece reaches completion.  The assemblage artists possesses an ability to "see" how things work together, consolidating colors and varying textures to arrange beautiful "sculptural compositions" for adornment.  I utilize both techniques in my jewelry-making practice, and adore both approaches.  I do, however, feel a tremendous amount of pride when I make something completely from my imagination.  Whatever approach one takes, it's just important to CREATE, CREATE, CREATE!  and have fun...


"AIR SERIES"
TEXTURED, ANNEALED COPPER WITH RIVETED COMPONENT
SOLDERED PENDANT

BEADED CHAIN

I LOVE THE NATURAL LOOK OF ANNEALED COPPER

ASSEMBLAGE EARRINGS

ASSEMBLAGE GODDESS PENDANT (I HAVEN'T NAMED HER YET)

CAN YOU SEE THE DRAGONFLY?




No comments: