Sunday, November 13, 2011

Creative Blocks

"MUSICAL FAIRY"

"Smash creative blocks. Change the problem or sneak up on it from a different direction. Try something fresh - a new way with an old theme, a different point of view, unusual tool". 
~Nita Leland~


So what causes them and how does one "overcome" them??  I've been thinking a lot lately about creative blocks and obstacles, primarily because from time to time (more often than I like to admit), they creep into my mind and simply do not want to vacate my right-brain.  I've read articles and blogs, all of which offer varying solutions to battling and overcoming blocks.  Perhaps the best advice I've received is from my dear friend and talented jewelry artistan Leanne Emory of Triskele Moon Studios.  She says, "The best thing to do for myself is to walk away from the studio for however long it takes..typically, that will be the time that I look at other outlets of creativity (looking at other types of art besides jewelry, reading, journaling)".  Great advice!  And now I'm going to follow it...


Two years ago, I received a beautiful acoustic guitar for Christmas; a lovely and thoughtful gift (which I had placed on my wish list).  Guess what?  Two years later, this amazing instrument is in my closet; a sad, sad place for music to hide.  So to mix up my creative outlets and get some different types of juices flowing, I finally signed up for lessons! This doesn't mean I won't be working on my jewelry; contrarily, I feel confident this new path of self expression will open up my soul to even more unique creative abilities.  


Thanks to Leanne for this great advice; it was just what I needed to get out of my rut.  I'm already feeling like making something new!  


Wishing you all a beautiful week filled with lots of love, magic
and creativity! 
(sans any creative blocks!)

3 comments:

Victoria said...

Super beautiful and inspiring post Sheila! Yay..enjoy your new creatiive time exploring new realms and expression!Shine on my wise friend!
HUgs..
victoria

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Music is the ultimate muse! Great discovery for your spirit, friend! Enjoy dear one! Sending you blessings and love, Amy

brandi said...

~good morning my dear friend...there is always time to learn something new...i am so happy that you are diving in and submerging yoruself into the musical world...my oldest plays the guitar...i have been SLOWLY...slowly trying to learn...it does wonders for your soul...i can't wait to hear more on this adventure of yours...i hope this finds you well and in good spirits...may 2012 continue nourish your creativity and to open new doors that lead you on a path to endless adventures you have yet to try...much love light and blessings~